Society for Risk Analysis Roundtable with the EU NanoSafety Cluster (SRANSCRT)
The Society for Risk Analysis (SRA) is a multidisciplinary, interdisciplinary, scholarly, international society that provides an open forum for those who are interested in risk analysis (i.e. risk assessment, communication, perception, management, and policy). The goal of SRA to facilitate the exchange of ideas and knowledge among practitioners, researchers and scholars in order to stimulate a dialogue and advance these areas with respect to various topics, including nanotechnology.
This relates to the objectives of the EU NanoSafety Cluster (NSC) to encourage collaboration among the EU research projects and facilitate the dissemination and exploitation of their results, addressing various aspects of the nanotechnology Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) research.
Objectives of the action
In order to contribute to nanotechnology EHS research and innovation, the objectives of SRANSCRT are to: (1) advance the science and policy in these areas, (2) facilitate information exchange & dissemination, and (3) promote training & education. The roundtable discussions have specifically addressed current gaps and pressing needs of data and tools for risk and innovation governance of nanotechnologies.
- Workshops, conference sessions, a conference and webinars have been organized: members have participated in roundtable discussions geared towards expanding knowledge of manufactured nanomaterial risk governance. Drawing from an international body of experts in North America, Europe, and Asia, various strategies from different governmental systems have been considered and discussed. SRA members across the globe have been able to participate.
- White Paper detailing the various governance strategies, paradigms and tools for governance of nanotechnology risks. Such strategies range from cost benefit analysis to risk communication and formal decision analytic tools.
Major roundtable events organized so far
- Kick-off meeting on 21 June 2015 at the SRA World Congress in Singapore
- SRANSCRT/ProSafe workshop on 7 Dec 2015 at the SRA Annual Meeting in Arlington, USA
- Roundtable sessionon 8 Dec 2015 at the SRA Annual Meeting in Arlington, USA
- Workshop “From Nano Risk Management to Risk Governance: Methods and Tools” held on 28 January 2016 in Venice, Italy
- SRA Policy Forum: Risk Governance for Key Enabling Technologies conference on 2-3 March 2017 in Venice, Italy
- White Paper on nanotechnology risk governance frameworks and tools.
- Dr. Danail Hristozov, University Ca’ Foscari Venice (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mr. Benjamin Trump, University of Michigan (email@example.com)
- Dr. Igor Linkov, US Army Engineer R&D Center (Igor.Linkov@usace.army.mil)