The main aim of WP7 is to develop innovative Safe-by-Design (SbyD) practices for reduction of release (exposure) of manufactured nanomaterials, or for inducing their accelerated alteration/degradation in order to decrease their environmental persistence and bioavailability.
SbyD concepts applied to nano-engineering will address:
- Strategies for synthesis of safer nanomaterials while preserving nanoscale reactivity and process efficiency
- Key techniques for Inherently Safe Process Design for nanomanufacturing, including:
- Process Analytical Technology
- Software sensors and closed-loop control
- Computational fluid dynamics and population balance modelling
- Practices for safe handling of waste flows containing nanomaterials
The above activities will result in guidelines for safe product and process design and Risk Management.